A Detour on the ‘Road to 180’

I am awaiting my orthopedic appointment next Tuesday, but knowing that I am having to back out of the 48 hour race at Jackpot — I have naturally gone to a couple of alternate plans to my race schedule. Not just for 2018, but specifically toward my 180th race.

My biggest worry more than running a 100 miles is making sure that my 180th race is the Handcart Days Half Marathon on July 21st. This was my first and 100th race — and I don’t want to celebrate my 180th race anywhere else besides maybe Athens? Maybe.

So being the over-planner that I am, I have made three roads to 180 based on whatever happens at my doctor’s appointment next Tuesday.

Am I worried about it? Of course. But, I’ll write about that all later or just wait for the diagnosis. But, I can’t NOT plan for Plan A, B or C while I am waiting. It’s just against my nature.

So here they are …

PLAN A

This the best case (well, second) scenario. Basically the doctor says … rest it now, do physical therapy and nothing longer than a half marathon until after June-July.

171 — Sun Half Marathon (February 3)
172 — Jackpot Running Festival, 6 hour (February 17)
173 — Riverton Half Marathon (March 24)
174 — Run Emigration Canyon Half Marathon (April 7)
175 — Salt Lake City Half Marathon (April 21)
176 — Vigor Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (May 12)
177 — Drop13 Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (June 9)
178 — AF Canyon Run Against Cancer (June 23)
179 — Hobbler Half (July 7)
180 — Handcart Days Half Marathon (July 21)

PLAN B

This is where the doctor says … no running for 6-8 weeks, do physical therapy and nothing longer than a half marathon until the fall.

171 — Riverton Half Marathon (March 24)
172 — Run Emigration Canyon Half Marathon (April 7)
173 — Salt Lake City Half Marathon (April 21)
174 — Provo City Half Marathon (May 5)
175 — Vigor Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (May 12)
176 — Drop13 Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (June 9)
177 — AF Canyon Run Against Cancer (June 23)
178 — Heber Half (June 30)
179 — Hobbler Half (July 7)
180 — Handcart Days Half Marathon (July 21)

PLAN C

This is the worst case scenario where the doctor says no running for six months with physical therapy and nothing longer than a 5K until next year.

171 — Sun Half Marathon (February 3)
172 — Jackpot Running Festival, 6 hour (February 17)
173 — Riverton Half Marathon (March 24)
174 — Run Emigration Canyon Half Marathon (April 7)
175 — Salt Lake City Half Marathon (April 21)
176 — Vigor Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (May 12)
177 — Drop13 Big Cottonwood Half Marathon (June 9)
178 — AF Canyon Run Against Cancer (June 23)
179 — Hobbler Half (July 7)
180 — Handcart Days Half Marathon (July 21)


Well, okay, that last scenario is a joke. But, that’s really the mentality I have about this injury recovery. I don’t want to not hit my 180th race at the Handcart Days Half Marathon THIS year. I don’t think my foots in THAT bad of shape … but, I don’t know.

I’m not only an over planner, but I’m a worrier too.

I really need to have more patience about the situation and just wait to see what the doctor says about my foot. It might just mean more rest, ice and physical therapy and not total amputation that I’ve made myself believe.

Patience.

Patience.

Patience.

Easier said than done.


A post shared by The Runcast (@theruncast) on

Comments: