A week of no running …


I feel like a bum for not running this past week. But, at the same time, I say that with with a hacking cough. Sooooooo … it’s kind of warranted, right? Regardless, I just hate being sick. Especially when it’s not something I can easily get over within 24 hours. I guess, I am such a guy in that regard. If it doesn’t fit my schedule, I want rid of it.

But, this past week after running the Big Cottonwood Marathon my legs felt pretty good to start running. I thought about running an easy three on Monday night, but decided not to just to give my legs a little bit more rest. So I moved that plan to Wednesday night. Welp, as soon as I woke up on Wednesday morning I knew I caught something because my throat was scratchy and my energy was just zapped.

Regardless I drug myself to work, but by 11:30 I had had it and my boss just sent me home. I got home and took a four hour nap. Thinking I was going to be okay I was up for about an hour and then promptly fell back asleep for another four hours. Needless to say, I was out sick.

So, I took Thursday off from work and again slept all day. I can now say with confidence that I know what the life of a cat feels like. And, as much as I want a cat, I don’t want to be one by any means. I think I’d make a lousy cat if you want to know …


It wasn’t a cold, but a sinus infection. I hate colds so I was happy with the sinus infection. But, I also developed a cough along with the nostril stuff. I just knew this was going to doom any planned run I had for the week. I didn’t want to make myself even worse by chancing it. This was even after I completated running a half marathon in Sandy on Saturday morning (see, I am crazy).

But, I knew deep down with my anguished soul that one week wasn’t going to kill me. Plus, the next seven weeks are going to be kinda crazy with a bunch of races. I didn’t want to jeopardize those races for a stupid small run (see, I am somewhat logical).

So I didn’t run.

And, I actually slept in until 11am, went to my nephew’s birthday party and then a wedding reception. It was a strange Saturday for me. I can’t remember the last time I slept in on a Saturday? This might have been my first week this year? I couldn’t even tell you?

But, regardless, I am moving on. I am focusing on this week. I am planning on running tonight and Thursday night along with a couple boot camp workouts at my gym and then I have the Huntsville Half Marathon on Saturday. That will the first of 8 races in 7 weeks! I am kind of excited for it. The races are as follows …

    1. Huntsville Half Marathon, September 27
    2. St. George Marathon, October 4
    3. Pink Series Half Marathon, October 11
    4. SLC Haunted Half Marathon, October 18
    5. Provo Haunted Half Marathon, October 25
    6. Howloween Half Marathon, October 25
    7. The Burn, November 1
    8. Saltair Half Marathon, November 8

It will be a challenge considering that I have the St. George Marathon and then a double half marathon on October 25th. Luckily, I am sweeping both of them so it shouldn’t be that bad. At least there won’t be a five hour gap between the races like my back-to-back half marathons in July. This should be more manageable.

But, it will be feat for sure. Something I am looking forward to doing. But, for now I’m taking another cough drop …

Total Mileage Breakdown for 2014

2014 Training Miles – 489.5 miles
2014 Walking Miles – 114.0 miles
2014 Race Miles – 320.1 miles
2014 Total Miles – 923.6 miles
Monthly Total Miles for 2014
January – 100.0 miles
February – 100.0 miles
March – 130.0 miles
April – 140.5 miles
May – 108.65 miles
June – 83.3 miles
July – 93.75 miles
August – 118.2 miles
September – 65.05 miles


Leave a Reply