Generally when you reach the end of the month I’ll say something like, “wow, this past month really flew by! I can’t believe it’s now such n’ such month.” This month is very much like that. It’s flown by. But, then again, it’s February we’re talking about here … so it really doesn’t work on that regard, I guess?
But, can we talk about February (you already know we were, since I brought up that question and I am writing this blog) for a minute? I am still trying to figure out this whole 28 days thing? Why such the discrepancy in day? Why can’t we give February like March and May’s 31st day and then make leap day February 31st every four years?
Logic. It just makes sense.
Then again, that just opens a whole can of other issues with the change in dates, but I don’t care if people’s birthdays are eliminated. They can either move their birthday to the new February 29th or 30th or March or May 30th. I have a feeling I am thinking too much into this (which you are probably nodding your head in agreement right now)?
So, I’ll end.
But, let’s talk about running. I’ve OFFICIALLY signed up for a few races this past week. I signed up for the Corner Canyon Trail 25K for October 18th. I was going to do the 50K, but I decided to just go the 25K for now and for a less arduous 50K in 2015. I still want that title of Ultra Marathoner, but I’m okay with waiting.
I did sign up for the Provo City Half Marathon for May 3rd. This will be my third time running the course and I am excited to run it again. Last year this was my first sub-2:20 half marathon and with the training I’ve been doing this winter I am HOPEFUL that I can break my 2:18:39 time.
I’m just not looking forward to the FREEZING temperatures at the starting line. Both times I’ve ran the race I nearly frozen to death up the mountain. It’s my least favorite part of the race, because the fire pits are too crowded to get any warmth. #firstworldrunningproblems
BUT, the bigger news is that I upgraded my Utah Valley Half Marathon entry to the FULL marathon. The training that I’ve been putting in the past couple of months has really given me that marathon itch and I’m feeling stronger as a runner, so why not? I’m on track to run the Ogden Marathon which happens three weeks before (because I am training with Becca for that race, even though I am running another race that day), so I will have to add a couple more long runs to get me to June 7th.
I feel ready. More physically, then mentally. But, I am excited. I need this challenge. I need this moment. I’ve fallen in love with the half marathon, but I’m feeling that itch again with the marathon. I’m not sure how many marathons I’ll run this year. Maybe one more? It’s much easier to train for one and then keep running them throughout the year … so … we’ll see. I am tempted to put my name in the St. George Lottery again. And, if that doesn’t happen I’m not against upgrading my Big Cottonwood entry to the full either. I love both races equally.
So, yeah, back to marathoning. I really am excited, but at the same time it’s going to be a lot of effort and work. Well, more like time. But, that’s what makes the marathon process so life changing. I’m looking forward to it. I just HOPE I can stay injury free unlike the last time. I’ve got to balance my running stupid and smart precisely.
There have been other things that have caught my interest this week besides just running. Here’s just a sampling …
- Today is my Dad’s, Aunt’s and sister’s birthday. Kind of a rarity, but we like to share birthdays in my family. My other sister and I share a birthday as well.
- My Aunt passed away last January and she is still VERY much missed. She was one of my biggest fans and always asked how each race went and genuinely loved hearing my recap.
- I am at 98 miles for my monthly mileage. You can guess what I am doing after work tonight! TWO MILES ON THE TREADMILL!
- I saw The Lego Movie last weekend. I don’t know what it is about it, but I loved it. It’s just good clean fun and you don’t get that much any more.
- Speaking of movies I saw that Liam Neeson has a new one coming out this weekend called Non-Stop. Honestly, from the looks of it, it basically looks like Taken 3. I’m not complaining. I’ll probably go see it. I’m a sucker for those kind of B-movies.
- While we’re still on the topic of movies. I’ve been really looking forward to the new Muppets movie. But, honestly, I’m losing steam. I love the Muppets, but ever after Muppets Take Manhattan they really haven’t done anything truly Muppet-ish since … well except for the last movie and MAYBE Muppets from Space.
- There should be a movie theater that has an attached gym to it so you can watch new release movies while running on the treadmill. I should invent this. Granted, this also means each time you want to fill up your water bottle it will cost you $10.
- I love Jimmy Fallon, I love this clip. I can’t tell you how much I want to be Jimmy Fallon’s BFF. Like, really bad. I already feel like he knows me!
- K, that wasn’t weird.
- Speaking of weird … I love ketchup, but probably not THIS much?! Wow.
- I love this. It warms the soul.
- From my estimations I could potentially be running nearly 140 miles in March. My goal each month has been 100 miles, but between my race on the 22nd and 17 and 18 miler at the end of the month, I could be pushing a lot of miles. I might scale back on one of my three 5 miles runs during the week, but we’ll see. I think a save goal for March might be 130 miles? 125?
- So I made this bet with my friend Becca (or Becky, however you want to say it), where I’d make her three batches of RKs during March (which is her birthday month) in exchange for her changing her name from Becca to Becky. She hates the name Becky, but … folks … she’s a Becky. She needs to embrace it. So I bribed her with RKs. She has to keep the name up from March 1 to 31.
- You are probably wondering what RKs I am going to make her? … welp … tomorrow I am making her Waffle RKs (basically maple syrup and brown sugar RKs pressed in a waffle iron), on the 15th I making a Mint Chocolate Chip RK and then on the 29th I am making her favorite Snickers, Pretzel & Caramel RK.
- I will be difficult not wanting to eat these (because I limit myself to RKs once a month), but I am excited to bring Becky back and play around with some recipes.
- Gosh, I love running.
- Gosh, I love RKs.
- Gosh, I love friends that I can bribe with RKs.
- Gosh, I love 80/20 dieting.
- Gosh, I love Friday.
- Gosh, I love lists.
Welp, I think that’s it for me. I’ve got 14 miles planned tomorrow including a fun relay I am running with friends. I’ll blog about that later. It’s going to be fun! It should be a fun weekend!
Anyways, have a great Friday, great weekend … and … of course HAPPY RUNNING!