Happy Friday! It’s the tenth edition of Fartlek Friday, which also means we’re ten weeks into 2014. Weird. I still feel like it should be Christmas (or Hanukkah if you happen to be Jewish). But, that was like over two months ago. I hate time. Especially when it feels like it speeds up on you without any warning. Seriously, I hate that.
I think the most anxious thing for me right now is seriously the two month gap between races. I haven’t raced since January 11th and it’s killing me. Plus, I still have two weeks … TWO WEEKS … until the Riverton Half. I can’t wait to get into the swing of running season.
I will have about a month gap between Riverton (March 22) and the Salt Lake Half (April 19), but after that I run The Strider’s 30K (April 26), Provo Half (May 3), Vigor Big Cottonwood (May 10) and then Ironwill Half (May 17). I might run Alpine (May 24), but I’ll be a couple weeks away from running the Utah Valley Marathon … so … I might just run mileage at home. I’m thinking 15-17ish that weekend? We’ll see.
It will be a busy April-May season. Then July will be just as busy with Legacy Midnight Run (July 11), Farmington Days Half (July 12), Timp Half (July 19) and either DesNews or Handcarts Day Half (July 24). I’d love to find a run for the 4 or 5th and 26th if I can? We shall see …
Either way, I’ve got the itch and the fever. And, I’m dying to run some races! Dying, dying, dying. I’m kind of kicking myself for not doing the Dogtown Half a couple weekends ago. That could have helped me with this angst. But, movin’ along …
- Today is my running friend Becky’s birthday. Tomorrow our running group is doing a birthday run for her at Liberty Park here in Salt Lake City and I am making her a Rice Krispy Cake. It’s her favorite … Snickers, Pretzel and Caramel RK. I will undoubtably get pictures of them tomorrow. This recipe happens to also be my mother’s favorite RK.
- I am so glad for the 80/20 rule. Now hopefully I won’t be tempted to eat half of a pan. Luckily, we’ve got a large running group.
- I am actually pretty good about not snacking (much) on RKs that I make. It’s all about self-control. I just love making them for others, and others like them.
- Speaking of fatty foods, I found this article on 11 chain restaurant foods. Check out #4! Wowzers!
- One food that I’ve been kind of stuck on lately is avocados. I love a simple turkey, avocado and cheese sandwich. Well, actually I really like it flatbread. Mmmm …
- I’ve also been on a wild rice kick lately too.
- I’m always on a hardboiled egg kick. During the week I eat about … 10? Two a day! I’ve been doing that for at least the past year. I love hardboiled eggs with a semi-soft center. Simply the best!
- I found this article on CNN about sugar. I agree. I’m probably just as guilty as anyone else. I am kind of feeling the need to REALLY watch special attention to my sugar intake?
- I ran last night at 11pm. I think that might have been a mistake. I didn’t get much sleep and this morning I feel like a zombie.
- Since my family spent this past week in Disneyland I’m getting a stronger itch to do Disneyland sometime this fall or Christmas season. The Marvel Super Hero Half at Disneyland is November 16 and that’d be a good time to go. But, so would December. I’ve never been in Disneyland when it’s decorated for the season. Oh decisions.
- Speaking of Disney races. The one thing holding me back to committing is the $195 registration fee. YIKES! When I ran the Disneyland Half in 2011 it was about $125. I thought that was expensive. That is my biggest gripe about Disney … they will milk you for all you’re worth … and … you pay it … happily.
- I remember when a one day pass at Disneyland cost $42. Now it’s over $125!
- Speaking of Disney and food … my favorite food there are the Lobster Nachos. They are at Cove Bar which is located behind Ariel’s Grotto in DCA.
- I’m not a huge fan of Disney California Adventure. I’ll get into sometime later, not now though. I don’t want to make this post all about Disneyland … well actually I do, but you probably don’t want to read much about it. I did a Disneyland week on my old blog once, I’ll have to do another sometime.
- Speaking of California, Disneyland, etc. … I watched part of the Clippers-Lakers game last night. Wow. That was quite the message the Clippers sent to the Lakers. I was not sorry for the Lakers one bit. Not one bit.
- If you don’t know, besides being a hardcore Jazz fan, I also happen to be a Clippers fan. No, this hasn’t been a recent thing (like, since they’ve been winning … like everyone else). I have been one pretty much as long as I have been a Jazz fan. I remember watching (and enjoying) my first Jazz game in November of 1991 when they played the Clippers. I fell in love with not only Karl Malone and John Stockton of the Jazz, but I loved those Clippers team with Danny Manning and Mark Jackson. I think I fell in love with Clips also because of how big of an underdog they were. But, they been a really fun team to watch, especially the past decade or so.
- But, don’t worry … the Jazz will always be close to my heart.
- When I was a kid I used to eat butter straight from the butter dish. I don’t know why I am sharing this, but I feel like you should know.
- Also when I was child my mother had the opposite problem with me that she did with the dog. The dog wasn’t housebroken, but I was. I guess I was bored with potty training booster toilet and wanted to be like the dog? I dunno?!?
- Sometimes at school I would deliberately pee my pants so I could go home. I had no shame.
- Gosh, I feel like this has turned into confession hour with Joshua. What else should I confess? Maybe I should just remain silent, no?
- Oh, when I was about 9 or 10 my cousin and I were throwing rocks in Yellowstone at a picnic area and we accidentally hit and killed a ground squirrel (at least that’s what my cousin said). I thought for sure we were going to get arrested. I freaked out BIG TIME.
- This whole case just intrigues me. I can kind of understand where each one is coming from, but seriously … suing your parents to MAKE them pay your tuition? Really? Give me a break!
Welp, I think that’s it for me today. I am looking forward to a great weekend of running with friends! Make sure to have a great Friday and as always … HAPPY RUNNING!!!