MARATHON! MARATHON! MARATHON! … breath … MARATHON! MARATHON! MARATHON! If you haven’t figured out yet, I am running the St. George Marathon tomorrow. It’s going to be a quick trip. I’m leaving this morning and will be back tomorrow night. Not, much of a relaxing trip … especially when you consider I am running a FREAKING MARATHON!
Yet … it oddly is? I guess that’s a runner’s life, eh?
This is the second of 8 consecutive race weekends. And, my only marathon of the eight races. Unless of course you count my back-to-back half marathons on October 25 in Provo. But, I have about eight hours or so in between those races so I don’t think that really counts.
I am excited to run St. George, I absolutely love the course. I absolutely love the race. It is one of the most gorgeous races that I’ve ran and one of the most community supported as well.
When I ran the marathon back in 2012 the one thing that I absolutely loved were all of the signs that literally covered every mile of the race. They were signs of encouragement to specific runners or the runners in general. There were motivating signs and hilarious signs. It was awesome. Simply awesome.
That’s one reason why I am really excited to run it again. Well that I am looking forward to the GINORMOUS ice cream sandwiches at the finish line. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to distinguish my true motives …
Anyways, here are a few other things that caught my attention this past week when I wasn’t busy thinking about St. George …
- If you couldn’t tell by the new layout of my blog, it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I am doing this to honor her. I am also raising funds for the Huntsman Cancer Institute and if you are interested in donating you can do so here.
- Besides raising money for the hospital my Mom got her treatments at, I am also spreading the simple advice that all women get a regular mammogram and breast exam. Early detection saves lives.
- Okay, this both disgusts me and inspires me. The thought of someone running a marathon in 2:02:57 with the goal of a sub-two is mind-boggling. MIND-BOGGLING!
- Let me put that into context for you. My goal is to run a sub-two … HALF MARATHON. And, that goal will probably kill me. Doing a sub-two marathon would most definitely kill me by the first mile. Wowzers.
- Here is another amazing feat by a young lady in the United Kingdom, she’s ran 53 marathons in 53 days. That’s amazing!
- I love this uber awkward picture of me running across the finish line at the Huntsville Half Marathon last week. Yeah, sure everything is flying everywhere with all that flabby skin, but I worked HARD for that loose flabby skin.
- And, if you’re wondering why I did that … this race is also nicknamed The Full Monte (because of it’s location near he Monte Christo peak) … so I had to run it in, in the full monte. It was just natural.
- The other day I ended up taking a nap UNDER the living room coffee table. I literally can nap anywhere. Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever slept or taken a nap?
- In college once I slept all night on a kitchen counter with a roll of industrial toilet paper as my pillow. No, I wasn’t drunk, I am actually an ambassador for my school and we were hosting a BUNCH of high school students at the university cabin. All of the students get priority to the beds and couches and the ambassadors take whatever’s left. And, I got the kitchen counter.
- This past week I wrote about poop and running. Of course my running friends understood, but then my Mom read it and reminded me I was never going to find a wife writing about poop.
- She does have a point, but that’s why I am going to marry a runner. Problem solved.
- I have such a hate/hate relationship with leg day. I know I need to do it. But, I’m STILL sore from Tuesday’s workout. Ugh.
- File this under IT’S A SMALL WORLD. While on CNN.com the other day I ran across this article about a “Confessions of a Mormon Housewife,” I noticed a familiar face. Once doing my usual social media stalking I realized her husband was a missionary that served in one of the same districts in my mission.
- I have a few good stories about him. All, I have to say is don’t get in a prank war with him. You will lose and end up with a dead cat through the windshield and a squirrel in your oven.
- Oh, missions …
- I think I need this Christmas tree this year, no?
- If I ever get testicular cancer I am totally doing this. Heck, maybe I should just make into some kind of ultra marathon?
- My friend Robert Merriman (aka The Naked Canadian) made a car decal of my face for just kick and giggles. Of course I needed one. Then that quickly turned to my friends wanting some. So Robert made more. If you want one let me know.
- I also ended up putting a sticker on all of my family’s cars. Unbeknownst to them. Some have kept it on and some ripped it off (how rude!). This was the reaction Free had when he FINALLY discovered his sticker (two days later).
- I wish my mother had this much ambition to get me that many badges.
- I love October baseball, especially when my Giants are in the playoffs. I am sad that the A’s lost against Kansas City, but my Giants got into the Division Series Wednesday night after shutting out the Pittsburgh Pirates. BRING ON THE NATS!!!
- I was bummed that the A’s lost, because I would have loved to have seen a Battle of the Bay World Series. But, alas, that wasn’t in the cards.
- If the Giants get past the Nationals, I think they’ll make it to the World Series where they will play the Orioles and beat them in 5! 2010, 2012 and 2014 World Series Champs! After they win you’ll have to start guessing who’ll they’ll beat in 2016.
- So apparently Crispy M&M’s are coming back to shelves in 2015. Why? These were pretty much the nastiest of all M&M’s. The Pretzel M&M’s are MUCH better because they at least have the whole salty-sweat thing going on.
- But, I am also somewhat spoiled because a certain Naked Canadian introduced me to Smarties.
- Here’s the difference between the two candies. The Smarties have more crunch and flavoring, the M&M’s have less crunch and more chocolate per piece.
- Personally, I like the Smarties when you are going head to head with regular M&M’s. But, my favorite M&M’s flavor is by far the almond. I am also fond of Mini M&M’s as well.
- Why am I talking about candy? I’m dieting.
- Okay, let’s focus on some other kind of food … check this post out about unusual food pairings. Just ignore the chocolate-covered bacon recipe and you’ll be okay.
- Well, and probably the other half of that list.
- I do want to try that Kiwi & Jalapeno Salsa though. Yum!
- Actually, that blog where I got the salsa is pretty trippy. There’s a reason why it’s called Cooking Stoned.
- Um, check out these breakfast nachos. Um, this is an immediate need.
- Oh gosh, I feel as though these Pumpkin Pie Churros and Sweet Potato Waffles are going on the menu before Thanksgiving.
- Gosh, now I feel like a domestic housewife … or Batman’s wife.
- You know what? I absolutely hate Halloween, but I just signed up for a pumpkin decorating contest.
- I hate ending on that note, but I am.
Welp, it’s now onto St. George. I know that I’ve said this in the past, but I REALLY do think that this will be my last marathon for a while. At least until 2016. Honest. I promise.
But, yeah, we’ll see about that.
Anyways, have a great weekend and whether or not you are running the St. George Marathon or just around your neighborhood … HAPPY RUNNING!!! See you Monday!