So I’m running a marathon tomorrow. As excited and nervous I am about it, I also know this will be my last for at least another year. I am not running any marathons in 2015. I’ve decided to downgrade my Utah Valley Marathon entry to the half marathon so I can focus on speed and my half marathon time.
This will be marathon number six. Ultimately before I finish my 180 goal, I’d like to at least four more marathons. There’s something somewhat magical about saying you’ve ran 10 marathons. But, just saying you’ve ran one marathon is magical. Still, that’s my goal. And, I’m sure sometime in 2016 I’ll pick up another marathon.
I kind of want to run the Athens Marathon in Greece. Being Greek that just seems like the most logical “bucket list” marathon out there. Plus, running the same route as the first marathon would be a great experience as a runner.That will be one of the my remaining four races.
I don’t really have any other “bucket list” marathons on my list. I would like to run the St. George Marathon one more time and I’ve always kind of wanted to run the San Francisco Marathon just so I could across the Golden Gate Bridge.
So if I did those, I guess that would leave me with one more marathon, eh? Oh gosh, just in Utah there are plenty of awesome marathons. Utah Valley is a great course. Same with Big Cottonwood. I haven’t done Top of Utah before. That might be fun. Either way, I’ll have to pick a great marathon here in Utah for that last race.
Yesterday marked the 13th anniversary of the 9/11. I can’t believe it’s been that long. I wrote about my feelings on that day yesterday. It’s interesting to me knowing that there are now teenagers born after the attacks?!
I loved this piece from the news yesterday about the Healing Field here in Utah. The further we get from the date the more valuable these memorials become. We need to teach our children about the history of 9/11 and why and how it happened. And hopefully how to prevent something like it happening again.
There have been a lot of emotions and reflections going on this week. From the marathon to the anniversary of 9/11 to just life. I am ready to run tomorrow with my friend Jill. This will be her first marathon and I can’t wait to share this experience with her. She’s fought hard to get here. I’ll blog more about her next week whether or not she wants me too! 🙂
Anyways, here are a few other things that caught my attention this week …
- This is a really cool piece about the world’s reaction to 9/11 back in 2001. I never witnessed any of this because I was on my mission so it was really neat reading about it now.
- These pictures of the 9/11 light memorial are beyond beautiful.
- Okay, take me running here please.
- Oh my, I love this! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I love historical pictures like these.
- Oh my goodness, I absolutely love this collection of hymns on YouTube. It makes me happy.
- Consider yourself learned now. You gotta know your stuff when consuming ketchup.
- Yeah, these are some pretty fattening salads. Don’t be deceived, salads are not always our friends. Especially the Sante Fe Chopped Salad from T.G.I. Friday’s. Holy moly 1,800+ calories!
- This video of a crane eating a groundhog is pretty intense. But, if he ate him whole then couldn’t the groundhog just climb out? So curious.
- Oh, these are some fun movie flubs. Pure gold.
- I really wanted to play with some Play Doh right about now.
- I have this legitimate fear that if I don’t get married before age 35, a project like this will consume my time and attention until I am 50.
- I want a Robin Hood monkey. Sigh …
- This brought a smile to my face. HILARIOUS. I would totally be that same kid.
- So there’s this.
- Well, this quickly became a need.
- I don’t want an evil cat. Ever.
- There are some good recipes actually
- I am happy to see that the Ravens have waived Ray Rice. It’s sadly something that the NFL should have MUCH earlier. Nobody is above domestic abuse or the rules.
- I loved this father’s response to the whole Ray Rice crap.
- I shared this post a couple weeks ago, but I just have to share it again. I love it THAT much.
- These words hurt my head.
- Here’s some useless knowledge that will probably one day win you Jeopardy.
- Oh gosh, I am not a drinker so I can’t relate as well. But, the taxidermy on these animals are horrific.
- Being the graphic design and sports nerd that I am, I actually really love this post from Grantland about the grading of all NBA courts. I really love court and logo design so I find this fascinating and pretty cool.
- Personally, I wouldn’t rank the Lakers’ court #1, I think my top 5 actually would be … 1) Brooklyn Nets, 2) Charlotte Hornets, 3) Golden State Warriors, 4) Miami Heat, and 5) Washington Wizards.
- I do like the Jazz’s court, but you have to admit compared to the standards of today’s NBA it is a tad bland. I’d love to see more or less color. Either way, that will never keep me from cheering on the team!
- Fighting animals have never been so adorable. Never.
- Interesting fact about me. When I was a kid our family had a pet raccoon. His name was Rascal (very cliche, I know). We got him when he was a baby and we found his mother dead on the side of the road. So we raised him to be big and strong. Then he got mean. He clawed my head once. Like dug all four paws into my skull. It was the most painful ‘coon hat I’ve ever worn. We ended up giving him to the Lagoon “zoo” after that.
- Oh, so the point of that story was I found this story on BuzzFeed about raccoons. It’s pretty much the truth.
- Wow. Cool.
- So according to this BuzzFeed quiz, I should be eating Margarita Pizza right about now. Which sounds about right.
- Now I want pizza.
- Like bad.
- mmmmm … Utah Food.
- This is exciting. I might not need Netflix anymore?!
- Um, yeah, no thank you Oreo. Keep the pumpkin flavoring to pumpkins. And, pumpkin chocolate
- RUSSIAN TORNADO!!!
- CAT PARADISE!!!
- EVIL RUSH HOUR DEER!!!
- FULL HOUSE!!!
- IMPORTANT PIZZA SCIENCE!!!
- Oh gosh, this gave me a laugh.
- I’m not going to lie, I’ve always kinda wanted to kayaki somewhere during a flood. Not, sure how I would put that on my bucket list though? It seems more like happenstance than something you plan.
- Even though I am a Niners fan, I absolutely want to see the return of the NFL to Los Angeles. It’s been 20 years since the Rams and Raiders called it home. Actually, I would love to see the Rams move back. They’re in the perfect situation to do so and have an owner that probably already has one foot planted in LA.
- I believe that you’ll see two team move to Los Angeles. I predict it will be the Rams and Chargers. As connected as the Chargers are to San Diego they’ve relied on Orange County and LA the past two decades for sponsorships and fans. They’d lose that with two LA teams moving in, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see them make the move north. Plus, it wouldn’t be that far of a drive for their San Diego fans for home games. Just my ten cents.
- So this gave me a mild chuckle. Especially the post about hedgehogs. LOL!
- Um, this pisses me off (sorry for the strong language mother) and just sickens me. How can people be so cruel to those that are different than themselves? I mean, really? Breaks my heart. I am glad they found the jerks that did this to that poor kid.
- Oh, I can’t wait to be a dad now …
- I am not going to lie, I kind of love this. Best way to troll Westboro. Ever
- Generally, I hate donuts, but some of these have potential … to become my next rice krispy treat creation. LOL!
- Consider this fascinating and if not you’re a Disneyhater.
- Oh gosh, some of these are horribly funny.
- Oh gosh, I love these kinds of maps.
- Oh gosh, here’s another awesome map.
- Oh gosh, I want a Photoshop vacation now.
- I’m sharing this just in case you find yourself immensely bored on Saturday afternoon and need to make a cardboard yo-yo. You know you’ll thank me later.
- This is mildly funny. Not sure why I am sharing it? But, there it is!
- Anyways, that’s a sign it’s time to sign off, eh?
Welp, have a great weekend! If you’re running a marathon have fun! If you’re running anything have fun! As always … HAPPY RUNNING!