Running ’round and ’round and ’round and ’round for Half #51

This morning I ran my 51st half and 56th race over 13.1 miles since July 2011. Not to mention my second half marathon of 2014. Don’t be too impressed, because I don’t have another organized half or longer until March 8th (which will be pretty cool, but I’ll blog about that later). That is one of the reasons why I am not a fan of the winter months in the northern hemisphere. Luckily I don’t have to deal with polar vortexes and the like. Just stupid snow and ice.

But, I digress.

Luckily, this race wasn’t outside in the snow. There was plenty of ice, but that’s because the race was at the Utah Olympic Oval in Kearns. This was my third year running the New Year’s Run Resolution. There’s not much to say about the course other than it’s warm, there are a lot of left turns and you see a lot of the same people every quarter mile. Oh, the joys of running on an indoor track. But, it really promotes a party atmosphere and you get to see running friends that don’t run at your pace. That’s fun.

Anyways, here are a few snaps of the day events. Make sure to come on Monday for my whole race report. Enjoy the pictures! It really was a party …

Once again I carbloaded for my race with waffles. I adapted last week’s recipe to make it even more runner friendly. I posted the recipe last night.
I made Rice Krispy Treats to share with my friends. I try to do this at least once a month around one of my races. This month I made York Peppermint Brownie RKs.
The trick to the RKs was a layer of brownie between layers of RKs.
Here is what the finished product looked like. I’ll post the recipe later this week.
Last night I also shaved my head. I have no other real reason to post this other than I love the composition of this selfie. My selfie skills are getting stronger.
On my way to pick up Becca this morning my waffles rode shotgun for a while. They didn’t stay their long (they got in my belly).
A picture of the race course. Pretty much everything you would expect from an indoor track.
Becca and I raided the Swedish Fish at the aid station. Every race should have Swedish Fish at every aid station. Can I start a White House petition for this change?
I pretty much stood right in front of the Swedish Fish at the aid station. Too bad they can’t jam pack these things with omega-3 or other healthy fish like qualities.
Becca excited to try her Honey Stinger WAFFLE! Yes, waffle!
The excitement is truly building up.
Unfortunately, the buildup lead to bitter (yet, sweet because of the honey) disappointment for Becca.
Half way through my run I decided to change my shirt. I slipped on my race shirt and noticed that I got a woman’s XL shirt instead. WOMAN’S XL!
Blurry running pictures sure make you look faster, no?
Showing off my bling. I finished my 48 laps in about 3:30 hours? I’m not quite sure. But, this includes a 5 minute bathroom break, 15 minute distraction break and probably about 10 minutes at the aid station. The time doesn’t reflect the time I was spent on the actual track. Meh. I still had fun.
After we finished our laps I was quite shocked that Becca was able to squat. If I did that I wouldn’t of been able to get back up.
This is one of my favorite pictures from the race. This is me with Q and his wife Elvia. This picture makes me look like a GIANT! Q and Elvia are awesome!
I simply love my Hippie Cat t-shirt. The best $7.50 spent at Walmart ever.
The worst part about leaving a race is that moment when you are in your car, your calf muscles are on fire and you realize you have a 30 minute drive home. Ugh.



  1. Becca says:

    LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!! Such a fun morning. I’m sad it’s over. 🙁 Now I’m stuck with tedious marathon training all by my lonesome!

  2. I had a lot of fun, and it was great running with you two for a bit…chatting about 3-legged dogs, full marathons, and the like. You guys are awesome. Looking forward to getting to know you better 🙂

Leave a Reply