I hate soda. Like, I really hate it. It has nothing to do with the taste. In fact, I really love the taste of Mountain Dew and Red Creme Soda. But, it’s what soda is and what it stands for in not just my fight with obesity, but with this nation’s fight as well.
Not only do we guzzle gallons upon gallons of it a year, but so do many young kids and teenagers. More often than not when we are thirsty we grab a pop, which does nothing to quench one’s thirst.
And, it doesn’t matter that we are loading ourselves with sugar from these drinks, even the diet sodas are just as bad. Sure you are not giving your body calories, but you are messing up your metabolism and loading up your body with chemicals that were never meant to be digested in the first place.
There is no good reason why soda should be consumed by anyone, especially young children and teens.
Over a year and a half ago I made a promise with myself that I wouldn’t drink anymore soda and it has made a big difference in my health. I’ve been able to find constant energy, no more energy swings or caffeine crashes. My running has improved and my weight is more stable than it’s ever been.
My drink of choice now is simply water. I still get the urge for a soda once in a while, but remembering what I am putting into my body keeps me from caving. So, I simply grab for that water.
Now if you think I am being a little irrational and/or overzealous about soda. Let me share a few ‘alternate’ ways you can use soda …
- Clean a car battery (pretty much with any soda because of the acid).
- Clean a dirty toilet (dump in a soda, leave for an hour and then scrub).
- Make your skin silky (mix soda with lotion and apply liberally).
- Clean oil stains in the garage (let stain soak and then hose off).
- Remove gum from hair (soak hair in Coke for a few minutes, wipe out).
- Make your flowers last longer (pour Sprite in the vase to
- Clean old pennies (soak dirty pennies in Coke and then scrub clean).
- Deskunk yourself or a pet (just apply Coke to get rid of the smell).
- Remove marker stains in a carpet (soak in Coke then scrub out).
- Kills snails (the sugar will attract them and the acid will kill them … sad).
- Remove bad smells from your laundry (just add a little Coke).
- Strip paint from metal (soak a towel in Coke, leave for days then strip).
- Remove dried bugs on your windshield (apply soda and then wipe clean).
- Remove blood from clothes (soak in Coke and then wash).
So, yeah, is that reason enough not to drink soda again?
Now, I might not convince you to never pick up another soda. But, I do challenge you do at least look at your consumption. Ask yourself if you are drinking too much, whether you should cut back or if you should give it up completely. The choice is really your own, but in my opinion I’d rather drink poison than a Coke.
That’s a harsh reality that’s taken me a while to finally realize. All you have to do is just open your eyes.