We’re halfway through 2016 and I am getting excited for next year already — as odd as that might sound. But, that’s been my life as a runner the past 5+ years. I love looking ahead to my races. Whether it’s new races, old races or new races in new places — I love planning them out.
As I have been going over my 2017 calendar and plotting out my races and goals — I’ve come to a couple of decisions. One, I want to focus on the half marathon and, two, I want to focus on setting a new PR in the half in 2017. Specifically, getting that elusive sub-two half marathon.
This means I am going to have to be deliberate with my training throughout the year and not focus on marathons or ultras. I did this back in 2013 when I got my PR — and it’s a good focus.
Granted, I am planning on — or least trying — to get into Boston next year. So that’s kind of my exception. But, that’s early enough in the year that my training should help me through the winter months to be even more half ready for the summer and fall races.
Well, that’s the thinking at least.
It will be hard to say no to the St. George and Big Cottonwood Marathons — but, I’m okay with that. I really want to get that sub-two and with the course I am on now with my thyroid, testosterone and weight — I feel like I could be in a good spot next year to make a good push at it.
Anyways — I know it’s still pretty early and this schedule is bound to change. Especially with some of these race dates not set in stone yet. I am estimating most dates.
Also some races will be paced, while others will be raced. Just depends on which races I decide to push for a PR at. But, more on that later. Here’s my tentative schedule …
TENTATIVE 2017 RACE SCHEDULE
140. St. George Half Marathon; St. George, UT (January 14)
141. Dogtown Half Marathon; Washington, UT (February 18)
142. March Madness Half Marathon; Woods Cross, UT (March 4)
143. Boston Marathon; Boston, MA (April 17)
144. Provo City Half Marathon; Provo, UT (May 6)
145. Vigor Big Cottonwood Half Marathon; SLC, UT (May 13)
146. Ogden Half Marathon; Ogden, UT (May 20)
147. Drop 13 Half Marathon; SLC, UT (June 10)
148. Ragnar Relay Wasatch Back, UT (June 16-17)
149. AF Canyon Race Against Cancer; American Fork, UT (June 24)
150. Hobbler Half; Mapleton, UT (July 8)
151. Deseret News Half Marathon; SLC, UT (July 24)
152. Timp Half; American Fork, UT (July 29)
153. Run Elevated Half Marathon; Sandy, UT (August 26)
154. Nebo Half; Payson, UT (September 2)
155. Revel Big Cottonwood Half Marathon; SLC, UT (September 9)
156. Layton Half Marathon; Layton, UT (October 7)
157. The Haunted Half; SLC, UT (October 21)
158. The Haunted Half; Provo, UT (October 28)
159. Snow Canyon Half Marathon; St. George, UT (November 4)
160. Thankful 13; Lehi (November 23)