So it’s been three days since I started my keto diet. I’m not going to lie to you and say I feel amazing and it’s totally working, because, well, it’s been three days. But, I have some initial thoughts about the diet I thought I’d share.
I kinda decided to bullet point them for reading ease. So here they are in no particular order …
- I’ve dropped 6.4lbs. so far — but, I kinda expected that since I ate somewhat unrestrained the day before I started. But, it does give me some hope that I’ll do better than expected.
- Yesterday was difficult, because I was feeling the sugar and carb withdrawals. I had a lingering headache that probably would have subsided with if I fed myself a piece of bread. I’m hoping I don’t have too many more days like that ahead of me.
- I am interested to see my race on tomorrow goes — I am a bit worried being so low on carbs going into it. But, I don’t carb load much before a race anymore, anyways. But, I usually eat a banana a half hour or so before a race. We’ll see how it goes. I’ve been counseled to protein load instead and I should be fine.
- It’s hard not grabbing for a banana — like real hard.
- It’s hard not wanting to delve into a bowl of fruit altogether. My mom was cutting watermelon and cantaloupe and I became fixated on that for a bit, ultimately just walking away.
- There’s a lot of science to the diet. Like a lot. Which, I won’t lie, I am trying to educate myself on and trying to simplify for ease.
- The low-carb mentality isn’t as hard to adapt to as the high-fat. mentality. I thought it was going to be “YEAH, FAT!” but I’ve honestly conditioned myself to be moderate with my fat intake. It’s a definite gear change.
- I see the wisdom of eating high fat, especially in helping to keep me from feeling hungry.
- I have keto strips, but I haven’t used them yet. I am going to start next week testing my ketogenic levels. I thought about starting now, but I just wanted to focus on adapting to the diet regime.
- I am still working on a set diet and workout regime. I should have that finalized by this weekend — which I’ll share next week. I’m just trying to do and eat what I need to in simplicity.
So, yeah, lots of initial thoughts. Still lots of things to figure out. But, I’m still very optimistic about where I will in less than 90 days. And, more than that — I know I can do this, because I’m doing it!