But, alas, I was not named after the element of winter. In fact I was born in the middle of August when snow is just regulated to Alaska and probably a majority of the Canadian provinces. Snow is actually a family name, hence the name.
So, yeah, the winter is such a horrible time of the year. Except when it rains. I love the rain, especially during the winter months (because it melts the snow!). That’s why I kinda love that we’ve had such good weather as of late.
But, of course it comes with a price.
There’s that dreaded smog outside that bellows up and congregates all over Salt Lake and Davis counties. It’s nasty crap. Just last week when I was driving past the point of the mountain on my way home from my run in Provo I could see the dense death cloud cover all of the valley.
I didn’t want to drive into the crap.
But, try running in that crap. No thank you! That is one reason why I am VERY selective about the location. My body just can’t handle the gunk. Plus, it messes with my asthma and that’s never fun. Never ever.
Anyways, I’m still looking for a place to run tomorrow and possibly Monday. I kind of want to run the causeway to Antelope Island. But, I don’t know? I might still encounter the dirty filthy smog? Heck, I might just go do Provo again and call it good.
Somebody decide for me, please?
Anyways, while I continue to bemoan the winter, snow and smog here are a few other things that caught my attention this past week.
- The flu has struck our family pretty hard. I am pretty sure everyone has gotten it to some degree. The horrible thing is it will get even those that had the vaccine. Not, as bad, but still … bad enough to be sick.
- Last Friday my Mom and I took my Grandma into the ER because she got it. She didn’t get the vaccine and being 88 years old so it hit her pretty hard. It wasn’t a fun way to spend a Friday night, but honestly it was probably more exciting than going to Walmart with Brad.
- Yesterday my foster niece got admitted into Primary Children’s Hospital here in Salt Lake City with the flu. She’s almost a year old and sicker than can be. It was sad seeing her laying in the hospital bed. Poor kid.
- But, seriously, folks … remember to get your vaccine. Even if you don’t think it will help it will at least help minimize the affects of the flu. I was down for about 3-4 days, but could have easily been 7-10 days without the vaccine.
- Okay, enough about being sick. That sucks talking about more than the snow.
- Oh, this probably should have been the first thing I talked about, because it’s HUGE! What is this you are wondering? I am officially a cat owner! Yep … I have TWO little kittens. Their names are Michelle and Robert. They are STRICTLY outside cats … until they’re old enough. But, in the mean they are staying at my sisters house (because my Mom and I are pretty allergic to them).
- Having them at my sister’s house makes for cute pictures like this, this and this. The combination of kittens and kids is the best combo since someone decided to put cheese on sandwiches. Seriously. How can you not love this face?
- How can you not want to put this on a greeting card?
- This past week wasn’t a very good week for running or me. Sure I had a 9 mile run on Saturday, but besides doing steps I didn’t do a three mile run as I planned yesterday. I got a pretty nasty migraine that put me out of condition. I hate migraines.
- I’m a part of the internet and I am furious that The Lego Movie didn’t get an Oscar nomination. Oh, I am so mad!
- Okay, confession, I actually really, really, really hate the Oscars and a majority of movies out there. If you’ve been following me for a while you’d know that. But, I have to say, The Lego Movie really was one of my favorite movies I actually do watch this year. How it doesn’t get a nomination is beyond me. But, then again, I couldn’t tell you really what else is out there? Muppets Most Wanted? Unbroken? Hunger Games? And, probably 2 Fast 2 Furious 20?
- I also don’t follow because I hate getting mixed up in opinions like these.
- Of all the hoopla from the announcement of the nominations yesterday THIS has to be one of the funniest. Well, in a juvenile teenage way. But, still … Dick Poop. What a slip!
- I’m working on making Michelle a running cat. Here’s her first running lesson. She stayed on the treadmill for 30 seconds which, oddly, is a victory.
- This happened with Callie and the kittens and yeah … ADORABLE!
- These text pranks really crack me up. I mean REALLY! I know you’ll find them hilarious as well.
- Tober doesn’t quite know what to do about the kittens. It kinda reminds me of the Pluto-kitten complex in the Disney cartoons. Except Tober is dumber.
- But, then again, Pluto is in cartoons with Goofy and Pluto can’t talk. And, as stupid as Goofy is, what does that make Pluto? EXTREMELY STUPID!!! But, still I don’t know if Pluto is dumber than Tober?
- Got my awesome mug on the TV the other day after the Jazz game.
- Look it’s family dinner!
- Oh, sports, I love you.
- To date I’ve eaten 54 bananas. That’s about four bananas a day. Not sure if that’s too much? But, I wanted to count how many bananas I eat regularly within a year. Oddly, this probably isn’t off my average from last year.
- I am not sure what I want more a corgi or Disney vacation? Is it possible to have both?
- We put down the Christmas tree this week. As you can tell, I was not happy about this.
- Kids love me.
- So, yeah, this is one reason why I don’t live in Los Angeles.
- Signed up for the Provo City Half Marathon this past week, but accidentally signed up for the Hobbler Half Marathon instead. So I have a Hobbler Half entry for July 11th if anyone is looking?
- The main lesson from that experience is to watch your links before you hit PAY NOW on a race entry.
- Do you need motivation to quit soda … read this.
- Um, did I mention to you that I have cats?
Welp, that’s it for me this weekend. For those running the St. George Half Marathon HAVE FUN! I really wish I was down there in sunny St. George with all y’all! But, have a great weekend and MLK Day holiday!
And, as always, HAPPY RUNNING!