The past three weeks have been a tad cray, cray … fun, but crazy. It’s been hard getting a workout rhythm going. But, I’ve gotten a few short runs and races in during the past three weeks. Nothing that makes me 100% proud of my efforts, but enough to get me by as life happened all around me.
But, that rhythm is coming back.Especially now that I THINK I got my thyroid in a good range that I should be starting to see some change. I’ll share all those details below. But, I am on new meds and metabolic recovery plan (I’m not sure if that’s what you call it, but it sounds cool). I might have to change a few of my goals a bit, but I’ll assess that next month.
It’s been a fun week though with family. My older brother got married on Tuesday. It was really one of those … FINALLY kind of weddings. They have been dating pretty much for the past seven years. So, my new sister-in-law, Kelli, pretty much has been family FOREVER. It’s just now she is family FOREVER.
Our family was in charge of the luncheon and since it was Cinco de Mayo as well, we opted for the sweet pork salad route. A very Utah thing to do, might I add. The debate about who has the best sweet pork burritos … Costa Vida or Cafe Rio is almost as serious as the Philly cheese steak debate of Pat’s vs. Geno’s.
And, if you’re wondering what my opinion is … it’s totally Costa Vida. They have fresher ingredients, the pork is slightly sweeter and I love their pico MUCH better than Cafe Rio.
But, I digress.
The sealing was beautiful and the luncheon and reception were great. I forget how much I love wedding receptions, especially as I get older. Lots of old family friends and family members I haven’t seen in years. It was fun catching up with all of them.
But, we did a lot of dancing, including the traditional Greek dancing. My brother’s friend, Jimmy Chunga, even DJ’d the event for us. I won’t lie, I miss him on the radio. But, that’s a rant for another day. It was just a lot, a lot of fun.
But, now that my brother is married the focus and pressure has now placed on me. I can live with that, because I told myself early on in life that I would NEVER settle. The right one will come when I find her and I refuse to feel pressured into forcing myself into a marriage just because “it’s time.”
The focus now is on this weekend. I am running race #91 the Vigor Big Cottonwood Half Marathon here in Salt Lake. This is the second time I’ve ran this race, but the MILLIONTH time I’ve ran down Big Cottonwood. I love this canyon. It’s one of my favorites.
That’s why I am running this race again along with Drop 13 in June and Revel Big Cottonwood in September. I am not officially signed up for Revel yet, but I’ll get there, especially since Nebo was moved back to September 5th.
I was a little worried about that, because I was signed up for the Volition Half Marathon in Ogden that same weekend, but I got an email from them yesterday telling me the race was cancelled. Sooooooo … now I don’t have any problem! I just need to figure out what I am doing with Revel.
If you kept up with all of that, good for you. Bottom line … I LOVE BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON! And, I can’t wait to run it tomorrow morning. I am just not looking forward to catching a 4:30am bus up the canyon. But, thanks to the advent of caffeine I should manage.
I feel like I am FINALLY kinda, sorta, hopefully in a good place now with my thyroid. After switching out my medication to go back to Levothyroxin, I am now back on Armour Thyroid. I really need the extra help for my T3 or T4 and that’s what Armour gives me and Levothyroxin does not.
But, after talking to my doctor about the change he THINKS the usefulness of the medication could be negated by the other medication I am taking, so I am spacing out those meds even more as to avoid any cross contamination. So, now I am taking my thyroid medication at night before I go to bed. And, I’ve noticed a difference so far. I am not waking up groggy, which is a BIG thing.
I also consulted him over foods and dieting, he wasn’t very particular and concerned with what I should be eating or avoiding. I talked to him about Dr. Hyman’s diet and asked his opinion. He thought it wouldn’t hurt as long as I kept my diet balanced. So that’s what I’ve been trying to follow the past week or so.
A lot of the focus is avoiding excess sugar intake, so I am trying to be mindful of that. I am also trying to eat more whole real foods, less processed foods — including the safe “diet” processed foods. It’s slow working and we’ll see how things are within the next month. But, I feel optimistic this will be a solution I am looking for.
THE FARTLEK TO THE FINISH LINE
Here are a few things that caught my attention this past week —
- It’s important to lead off with this: GUACAMOLE!
- Here’s a good collage of most of the pictures I took at the wedding.
- BAHAHAHAHA! These make me laugh.
- My brothers and I toasted Ben like this … because it was Cinco de Mayo and all. I felt a little awkward because I feel it’s a tad racist. But, it’s okay, my sister-in-law is Mexican and she approved it. Because we all know that one person can talk for an entire culture.
- Here’s something to be distracted by on a slow Friday afternoon.
- MUPPETS!!!! YEAH!!!
- This is one reason why I love my parents. While at the wedding luncheon my parents saw this homeless lady walking around the building looking for a bishop (she was just kicked out of a shelter … I believe?). She had eaten all day so my mother invited her to join us during the luncheon. I guess the only price of admission was that she had to sit by dad and listen to his stories (I kid) during the meal. My only hope is to be able to emulate them.
- Now these are awesome stories!
- This is a tad gross. Strangely fascinating, but gross.
- Double Um?
- Go Utah! This would be a lot of fun!
- This is a really interesting and sad read about a Penn student athlete. I encourage you to give it a read.
- I’ve always wanted to make cards like these. I love these, I might need buy some of these.
- I can actually relate to most of these. I really am not a morning person. Not. At. All.
- I love the internet … it’s so weird.
- I’m not feeling down, but I really kinda want some of these puppies.
- This is actually quite fascinating.
- I was sad about the outcome of Wednesday night’s game, but MAN the Clippers are really doing well in the playoffs. That game 7 against the Spurs was AWESOME! GO CLIPS!
- This is actually interesting as well, I actually really liked American History X … a lot.
- Now this is cool! I love the creativity behind these before and after portraits.
- Let’s send you all off with a laugh. These are great!