What a splendid week of awesomeness. This past week (between working 8-5) I’ve been spending my time at Snowbird with the family. I don’t know how much of a real vacation it is, especially considering I took my work and computer with me?
But, I’ve had some pretty good workouts in the lodge’s gym. The other day I did a couple miles on the treadmill and impressed these two elderly women about my endurance running. I didn’t have the nerve to tell them they kinda ruined that for me, because they interrupted me mid-run.
They were sweet though.
It was a good vacation in that regard. Just to get away was very stress relieving. But, it sure makes you want to do it again. But, maybe to Disneyland next time? (it’s always Disneyland)
I am excited for this weekend because I have another race on the docket. I will be sweeping the Jordan River Half Marathon tomorrow and will actually being doing so alongside the Kilt Dude, Tim Gill.
If you don’t know Kilt Dude, you need to get to know him. He’s an awesome guy and someone I consider a good friend. I love how addicted he is at racing, even more than me. And, for that he is officially nuts.
But, so am I … so tomorrow will be a P-A-R-T-Y!
Anyways, I’ve also got a lot of exciting things going on so I’m going to give them their own section …
THE BUGOUT SURVIVAL CHALLENGE
As I have posted here in the past month or so, I have, along with some friends, started a new endurance event called The Bugout Survival Challenge. If you’re wondering, yes, it was initially known as The Bugout Run, but we switched that to better represent the purpose and nature of the event.
Our first event will be held on July 17-18th somewhere along the Wasatch Front. The definitive location? You won’t know that until 24-28 hours before the event. It wouldn’t otherwise be a bugout, right?
This event and along with our August event (August 8-9) will be small in nature to help introduce the event to the public. We are planning a bigger event in September (September 26-27) that will mirror our bigger events to be held in 2016.
Those dates and locations will be announced at a later time.
But, the basic concept behind this kind of event to help give individuals, families and friends an opportunity to put to test their survival skills in a fun, engaging and challenging environment.
Think of the Bugout Series to be a combination of a survival challenge + trails + running + a team relay. Basically, it’s going to be a whole lot of awesome.
Registration for the July event will open on June 1st and the prices will be cheap. It’s $15 for just the run or if you want to join us the night before for a camp out and lecture that price will be $25.
Each participant will receive a t-shirt and the endurance part of the event will be a 3-5 mile run/hike along with a couple of survival challenges along the course. It will be a lot of fun and check out www.bugoutseries.com starting on June 1st for more information.
But, in the mean go LIKE our Facebook page and ogle at this flier I made this past weekend …
THE UTAH RUNCAST: Utah’s #1 Running Podcast
I’ve been a busy, busy person over the past few months, but this is a project I am EXTREMELY excited about. Why? Because, I get to share my passion and love for running through another medium. The podcast!
I’ve been a podcast listener basically since I’ve been a smartphone carrier … which is basically 2012 … ish. When I trained for my first marathon I listened to a number of podcasts and radio shows … on iTunes. I guess you call those podcasts too? Not sure? But, whatever.
I love podcasts.
I love talk shows.
So why not do my own? It’s something I’ve kinda always wanted to do one and the opportunity presented itself … so why not? The goal of the podcast is not just to talk about running, but running here in Utah. Sure the target audience will be aimed more towards Utahns, but also out of state runners who not only love running, but love running or want to run in Utah.
It’s going to be a lot of fun. There are a few finishing touches that I am working on in regards to the cast and topics. But, I am shooting for a new podcast at least 1-2 times a month with a very fun, casual and informative format.
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK TO THE FINISH
So here are a few other things that caught my interest this past week …
- So, um, how about that thing called soccer? Or as everyone outside the US … football? It sure looks like FIFA sure has got a mess on its’ hands with the U.S. gov’ment.
- And, then Putin has to chime in. This very well could start WWIII … which seems fitting since the world hates America and America hates soccer.
- This very well could be my new favorite website.
- Sooooo … I’m butchering my corning rooster this weekend. It’s been eight weeks since I got him and he’s ready. I’m a tad sad, but at the same time, this is something I’ve always wanted to do. Well, felt like I needed to learn. But, that’s a post for another day.
- Oh gosh, this will give you a case of the feels. True religion at practice.
- This. Will. Make. You. Laugh. Like a lot.
- So I found Bigfoot at Snowbird this past week … and from the looks of it, he’ll probably sue them for that nasty fall.
- Here’s a friendly reminder to wear sunscreen while out in the sun this summer. That’s of course if the sun comes out this summer.
- Well this pretty much just debunks every known cryptocreature … I still believe.
- Welp, we have the NBA Finals matchup set … the Cavs and Warriors. I won’t lie, 5 years ago … wouldn’t expect this matchup. But, as far as cheering, I’m pulling for the Warriors this year. They are fun to watch and … well … not a big LeBron fan. BUT … I wouldn’t mind seeing Cleveland finally get a championship. But, yeah, go Warriors.
- And, like usual, I have NO idea who is playing for the Stanley Cup still. Meh.
- Can we clone Riley Curry? Seriously, she’s got to be the cutest kid ever.
- This is a fun read about the Golden Gate Bridge, one of my favorite American iconic landmarks. One day I’ll run the span of the bridge (just hopefully not being chased by a troop of apes).
- This is a great read. Talk about lucky.
- Here’s a fun little read on Walt Disney World … for all those Disney geeks out there.
- Need time to waste today? Read this about getting through Disneyland in 24 hours. It’s actually pretty entertaining and just makes me want to take a road trip right now.
- So, I rebooted my personal blog. There really isn’t anything to it other than it’s a space on the internet I use to write about things that relate to running or weight loss.
- Watching these two bear cubs fight is absolutely adorable, it really has about the same ferocious intensity of a Chicago Cubs pennant race. There’s some nervous intensity at first, but in the end it’s harmless.
- All, I’ll say is … Poor Ernie.
- Okay, this is cool.
- I am a label reader. I love reading food labels, especially on junk food. I found this cinnamon roll at 7 Eleven on Thursday and … well … let’s just say if I ate a whole one the saggy skin on my moobs would fill out and make them perky. THOSE NUMBERS! YIKES!
- This feels like a need right meow.
- I like this article I found about Albert Einstein and his advice to his son about learning and happiness. I strongly suggest giving it a read.
- So this was my “Home Away From Home” gym this week. I won’t lie, not a lot of equipment, but it was perfect for what I needed it for.
- While reading this list of the best summer movies ever, I realized it’s been three years since The Avengers came out … aaaaaand … I still haven’t seen it. But, don’t cry for me, I really kinda hate super hero movies.
- I will neither confirm nor deny that I am not guilty of using a number of these techniques at times in my life.
- This is strangely entertaining.
- So there’s this … I won’t give it away. But, if you want to have a baby there’s some traveling you’ll probably want to do?!
- My cats that I got in January and had to give up because of allergies are getting BIG! Here’s a picture of Bob Robert! He’s getting BIG! I miss them. But, I don’t miss being allergic. #lifeisnotfair
- I love turtles.
- Oh gosh, I can’t tell you how much I loved watching Saved By The Bell as a kid. And, I pretty much knew all of these 22 things about the show. #totesgeek
- It’s all about priorities people. Priorities.
- And, finally … this is how you successfully mess with a Smart Car.
THE FINISH LINE FUNNY
How can you not love and adore this? Hilariously adorable.