Wowzers what a week! No running for me this week. After Ragnar and my bout with heat exhaustion I didn’t feel it would be in my best interest to push it too much this week (it was kind of hard to feeling like crap for half the week anyways). Especially considering that I am doing back-to-back half marathons this weekend.
This is the third time I’ve done back-to-back half marathons. My first was last July when I ran the Utah Midnight Half and Farmington Days Half. That was a Friday night, Saturday morning feat. And, my last one was back in October when I ran the Provo Haunted Half in the morning and the Howloween Half at night on the same night.
I won’t lie it’s tough and I am not in top shape for it, but it’s doable. Plus, more than anything I’ve learned … is that it helps to know what to expect in doing it. Having a 4-6 hour lay off between races is the toughest thing, because that gives your legs enough time to get stiff and sore. So taking precautions to minimize that is a must. That includes fueling your body between the races with hydration, electrolytes and … well … calories.
But, I’ve also done my back-to-back races with really no time goals. In my mind that’s foolish. I don’t put time goals to my marathons and this is essentially the same thing … just with about six hours in between. And, that’s my goal again this go around. I am starting off by running the Utah Midnight Half in Provo tonight and the plan there is to just take it easy at a training pace and then in the morning when I run the AF Canyon Half I am just going to take what my body will give me.
I know that sounds fairly vague … and it is. But, with it being mostly a canyon course I am going to let gravity help me and then I’ll just push my body at what it will give me the rest of the way. Killer game plan, huh?
I don’t know exactly how my body will respond, especially after being sick this past week. But, I feel 1000% better after a couple days of rest, countless cups of chicken noodle soup, bananas and bowls of rice. I took more naps than most cats and that’s saying something.
But, I promised my mother I wouldn’t overdo it and that I’d stay special attention to my hydration and electrolytes. That’s really what I am worried about more than anything. Well, that and sodium. That’s why I am not leaving my salt tablets at home this weekend. They will come in handy. Heck, I might even stash away some saltine crackers for a mid-race snack.
Needless to say, I’ll be prepared.
This will be a fun weekend. It’ll be a fun challenge. But, more than that it’ll be a fun weekend running with a number of new and old friends. My favorite part of running!
UTAH RUNCAST IS COMING!
There hasn’t been much news about the launch of the Utah Runcast lately. Mainly, because I am just working on the structure and episode topics. But, we are shooting for a mid-July launch depending on how long it takes to chop and edit.
But, Jim and I are working creating a great product that not just Utah runners, but runners everywhere will enjoy. It’s really a celebration of running mainly here in Utah, but anywhere were you can put on some shoes and go run.
Stay tuned here and on Podgoblin.com for the specific release date.
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few things that caught my attention this past week …
- These are some pretty good tips on eating and being healthier. Seriously, give it a read.
- Yep … I loved Jurassic World and this summed it up.
- Oh my gosh, there are no words for this … Deep Fried Big Mac? How do you eat that without dying from a heart attack? Seriously.
- I think I need a pygmy hippo … like yesterday.
- Not a fan of McDonald’s, but what Utahn didn’t stop at the Barstow Train McDonald’s on their way to Disneyland? (probably a lot)
- Yeah … birds are jerks.
- I actually think some of these are pretty creative. Not all, just some.
- Remind me to NOT to go swimming in southern Utah … YIKES!
- This is a fun Friday afternoon read.
- This reminds me of a t-shirt I once had about a decade ago that read, “Club Sandwiches Not Seals”
- Oh my heavens, this breaks my heart and brings a smile of gratitude to my soul.
- This just puts my workouts to shame.
- mmmm … cake.
- I am thinking this should be a must read for Pop Culture 101. Okay, maybe not, but still. I didn’t know that HALF of these couples coupled?!
- This is a pretty interesting read, I know my nephew would love this … if he could read.
- Yet another reason why I love Abraham Lincoln.
- This is good for a smile.
- You know … when I die … I’ve had a lot of these ideas for my funeral. I think the main thing when it comes to my funeral is there will be NO crying allowed. If you do … I haunt you.
- This guy like the Clint Eastwood of Gorillas … or something?!
- And, I am just going to end this all right here … WITH THIS!
THE FINISH LINE FUNNY