FRIDAY! FRIDAY! FRIDAY! I’m kinda excited about this Friday for some reason? Part of it is because of my running adventures tomorrow, but also it’s been my first five day work week in … like … almost a month.
I’ve been pampered too much apparently?
But, at least I get to run off that angst this weekend. Tomorrow morning I am sweeping the Hobbler Half and then in the evening I am running The Dam 15 Miler in Midway. My last race is about 150 people deep … soooooooo … I’ve kinda resigned myself to coming in last at that race as well.
But, hey, that’s still 28.1 miles of running/walking/wishing I had a Slurpee, right? And, it still beats the person who didn’t get off the couch all day. Sooooo … I’m just going to give it my best effort and knock out races #98 and #99!
And, then in two weeks … RACE #100!
Which I am getting more and more excited for! As you might already know my 100th race is going to be the Handcart Days Half Marathon in my hometown of Bountiful. The race holds a place in my heart for a couple of years.
First, this was my first half marathon, which happened four years to the day and, two, the Handcart Days celebration is something my family was intricately involved in for a number of years.
My Dad was the chairman of the event for over 7 years. This included roping the WHOLE family into the planning, execution and even clean up of the event. It was a lot of fun. We did everything, made a lot of friends and FOREVER tied ourselves to the community.
So, yeah, I am excited.
But, what’s taking that over the top is I am also pushing my friend Elsha in the race. And if that wasn’t enough, my friend Tim decided to run the race alongside us. It’s basically going to be a party! And quite a stark contrast to when I ran it four years ago … by myself.
Elsha and Tim are two reasons why I love hopelessly fallen in love with running and it will be fun celebrating my 100th race with them. It really seems fitting. Well, because it is.
But, lots of fun things happening this month. The Bugout Run is next week which we’re ready for. Jorge and I mapped out the course yesterday. The event is free so sign up! You can read more about it here.
Also, I am starting to solidify my fall race schedule. I am really debating on running Big Cottonwood in September. A part of me kinda wants to just volunteer and cheer in my friends at the finish line. Or maybe go buy a bunch of Slurpees from 7 Eleven and start handing them out to friends and runners.
Oh, that would be fun.
Either way, I have also decided to run Cory Reese’s Bakers Dozen Half Marathon in December down in Hurricane. But, I am still debating if I want to run the Ultra Marathon on Antelope Island? I want to, but I don’t know if I want to be ready for by then? Either way, I’ll run the ultra or half marathon that same day.
And, we won’t start talking about my October races yet. I’m going to be getting LOTS of miles on my shoes that month. Layton Marathon, two Haunted Half races, two Howloween races and a 25K to boot. And, that still leaves me a free weekend over the 3rd of October.
Oy. It’s going to be fun. It’s roughly 96.6 miles of racing. I should find a 10K over October 3rd to run to get over 100 miles of racing for the month.
Why am I giving myself these thoughts and temptations?
Anyways, fun times this weekend! Lots of running! Lots of friends! Lots of Slurpees (tomorrow is National Slurpee Day … if you didn’t know)!
SOCIAL MEDIA SHUFFLING
Just of note, this past week I did a little reshuffling of my social media. Specifically with Instagram. I tried to clean out my personal account and it ended up getting deleted. Still trying to figure that one out. So I was locked out of my @thegr8joshby username.
But, to make note, I did end up bringing back @back2phat by popular demand. And, by popular demand, I mean … one person asked me, I have brought it back. I think I am good with the social media shuffling for now?
THE UTAH RUNCAST
Just any FYI, we’re going to be recording soon. So stay tuned. I am hoping to get the podcast up before the 24th of July. But, we’ll see. I am not doing the editing soooooooo no specific date yet.
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few things that caught my attention this past week …
- It’s been an interesting week (or month) of following the stock market and world-wide economies. Of course there’s the whole Greece fiasco. Then China is trying to save their stock market, while our stock market suspends trading on Wednesday. Not a good time for the world economy, eh?
- I pretty much consider myself an optimist, but it’s hard to see a future of great prosperity when we live in a country that has BILLIONS of dollars in debt and in debt with China nonetheless. Not a good combination, not a good situation.
- At least some of these made me laugh. But, then again, I wish it really was “funny.”
- It was not a good week for celebrities either, especially Jared from Subway and Bill Cosby. Cosby is just dead to me now. Completely dead. And, well, I want Jared’s job now.
- Seriously, I walk to Subway for my lunch, I’ve lost a bunch of weight and more often then not I pony up the extra money for the avocado. They should let me be the spokesman just for the mere fact I have probably over a million dollars on avocado over the years.
- This past week has also been the Discovery Channel’s Shark Week. I won’t lie, it kinda snuck up on me, because its’ usually in August around my birthday … alas … it is not. So in honor of the week I’ve rounded up some diddies from the internet about sharks …
- You gotta love a modest great white shark, right?
- This just cements my love for sharks.
- Duly noted.
- Sharks, sharks, sharks!
- If you’re worried about shark attacks, you probably should be more worried about some of these things waiting to kill you.
- I feel bad for Megan Rapinoe … the goblin shark? Who wants to be that shark? Check out the rest here.
- I like these sharks!
- Here are some good facts about sharks you might find interesting.
- And just to make it known to the world my favorite shark is the hammerhead. But, the Whale Shark is a close second.
- If you’ve seen any of these movies, I highly suggest you take up reading or find a more worthwhile hobby.
- Went to Chuck E. Cheese this week for my c’niece’s (cousin + niece) birthday! Of course I had to get a selfie with Chuck.
- Why such the backlash to Thin Oreos? It’s not like they’re replacing the originals people.
- YES! The Hunger Street! Or Sesame Games? Oooooo … I like that one best.
- I am glad there are people out there just like me.
- This is nothing, but awesome! Not to mention another reminder I need a Disney vacation soon.
- This just has BAD DECISION written all over it.
- I got Idealist on this quiz. You should take it. Unless of course you are Jill Gabica.
- I hate McDonald’s but these made me laugh. LOL!
- Welp, I wouldn’t want a cat house full of bobcats. Power to the Native Americans.
- I won’t lie, kinda excited about the new Ghostbusters.I’m praying it’s worth throwing $10 at for a ticket.
- These made me laugh.
- Um … yes, please … yes, please and yes, please.
- Bill Cosby is dead to me.
- Thank you Russia for this ever important “selfie guideline”.
- Jill Gabica don’t click on this link. All others proceed.
- My Grandpa was such a badass. Proof here. Well, my other Grandpa was too, he was a WWII Vet.
- This is an interesting diddy about Apollo 13. Growing up it was one of my favorite movies.
- mmmm … sweet, sweet candy.
- Cool? Not sure?
THE FRIDAY FUNNY