What a fun and busy week! This was my first week back at Firehouse Fitness (FHF). After about a year away from the gym I decided to go back for a number of reasons. Mainly, because it works, but also when it comes to my fitness I’ve found I do much better in a social environment compared to going solo. And, FHF gives me that.
I am excited to get into the groove of things again. Being away for a year caused me to get my trash KICKED this week. I am sore. My arms are sore. My legs are sore. My abs are sore. I am just sore all over and I love it. I love that feeling I have at the end of the day … it’s part achievement and part fatigue.
Anyways, it’s a nice change of focus for my weekly workouts that will benefit my running. The focus right now is core training and get that solidified to help me with my fall races. I’ve got a bunch of back-to-back half marathons, a couple marathons and my 50K. It’ll be fun to see how it changes my body.
Besides the new gym regime, we’re having another Bugout Run tomorrow. It’s in Spanish Fork and if you want to come it’s FREE. Just RSVP on Facebook on this link. It will also provide you with the logistics of the run and our scenario. If you haven’t come to one of the Bugouts you should. It’s part running, part hiking and part emergency prep.
It’s going to be a lot of fun.
This weekend will also be my last weekend off from running until pretty much November. I have a race or a run organized from August 15th to November 14th. But, it really won’t be a week off because I am still up at the buttcrack of dawn on Saturday. Now it kind of makes sense why I am really slowing down in 2016. And, seriously folks, if I sign up for another marathon next year STOP me! I have too much I want and need to do to get wrapped up in marathon training. But, that’s a post for another day.
Anyways, lots of fun this weekend. Lots of things to look forward to with my fitness and of course RUNNING!
RUNNING LIKE A GIRL
As it’s been fairly prevalant online and on the blog, I ran in a pink sports bra last weekend at the Timp Half in honor of my friend Dith and a few of my friends who are fighting the disease right now as well. It’s an unfair and ugly disease and I hate it. But, it doesn’t mean it can’t be overcome personally and in our society.
That is one reason why I am running for the Huntsman Hometown Heroes in Dith’s and my friend’s honor. Well, in honor and memory of ALL those that fight or have fought cancer. I don’t know what it personally does to the body, but I know what it does to friends and children of those that fight it. And, I want to find a cure.
I shared some of my thoughts this past week about the bra and supporting those that fight. Also, if you want to make a donation or join our #Run4Dith team to help raise money for Huntsman Cancer Institute here in Salt Lake City you can do so here.
Let’s find a cure! Cancer sucks!
THE UTAH RUNCAST
We are recording our next episode of the Runcast this weekend. So look for it this upcoming Wednesday. If you haven’t heard our first episode you can listen here …
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few things that caught my attention this past week …
- How can you NOT love this face, especially when she flashes it after getting caught in Grandma’s shoes?
- Major props to Women’s Running magazine for putting a plus size runner on their cover. Running is for EVERYONE!
- Remember Bitstrips? Yeah, you thought you forgot about them, eh? So, 2013. Anyways, I started an Instagram account of Bitstrip comics. Why? Well, why not? But, really, it’s more of a creative exercise for me. Helps get the creative juices going when I need a boost before writing, doing graphics or working on a project that requires creativity. Plus, it’s fun.
- This is an interesting piece about the dropping of the Hiroshima atomic bomb that took place 70 years ago yesterday. Fascinating and sad all in one emotion. It literally changed everything.
- There’s nothing quite like protesting the killing of a lion by throwing another dead animal’s feet on the shooters’ driveway. Sure drives home the point, eh?
- I’m not sure what to think of these milkshakes? Some are a crime to humanity, while some actually look pretty good …
- I’ve eaten my share of questionable foods, but never have I put ketchup on my bananas. Straight up gross!
- This is pretty much what summer means to me … TAN LINES!
- This is why I don’t shop at Whole Foods … therwise known as “Whole Paycheck.”
- I have done 8 of these 19 things. Does that make me a bad person?
- Um, ouch?
- This is a pretty interesting piece about the basketball club CSKA Moscow. Great read.
- THE FUTURE IS HERE!
- I find this rather amusing. I don’t care so much about the reasons of why this girl was sent home more than her reaction and how it shows the immaturity of kids these days. Gosh, I sound like my father!
- If this doesn’t give you the feels then something is wrong with you.
- I don’t know how to feel about this? Personally, I get it, but it’s a stretch. MAJOR stretch.
- I really shouldn’t have seen this. Dang, that looks good!
- This is actually pretty interesting.
- Um … no comment. I’m just glad I’m not a woman.
- This is hilariously stupid. LOL!
- This should be of interest to any history buff. I found it interesting.
- Oh my heavens this put me in tears. Goes with my life motto of, “if you can do something, do it!” Very touching.
- This is actually pretty fun.