If you couldn’t tell by the title of this week’s post and the graphic header … this weekend is my BIRTHDAY! Well, specifically, tomorrow is my 34th birthday. It’s a weird feeling for me, because I don’t feel 34 and … well … I don’t act 34 either (but that’s a post for another day).
Since I share a birthday with my sister we are celebrating the weekend as a family up in Park City. We usually celebrate our birthday around a family getaway, because as kids it was our last trip before school started. Now it’s just an excuse to take time off work as adults.
We’re up in Park City all day today and then tomorrow on our birthday after I run the Park City Half we’re going to do the whole Park City experience … Alpine Slides, Downtown Park City and then of course our birthday dinner. We haven’t decided on a location yet. But, usually it’s pizza or Mexican food. Two foods you can’t go wrong with.
But, we’re planning on staying up in Park City until Sunday or Monday so we can get some R&R and good swimming in with the kids. As you can probably tell I am really excited about the weekend. I need a nice long mental break away from work, get refreshed and ready for the start of the new school year.
But, let’s talk about turning 34 for a minute. I guess you can basically say I am in my mid-30s, right? Technically, I think this is the point where I probably should have a quarter life crisis? I know being a single Mormon male I should be freaking out, but you know what? I’m not.
I think what baffles me somewhat is that 28-29 really doesn’t seem that long ago. I started my weight-loss journey basically right after my 28th birthday. I ran my first half marathon a month before my 30th birthday. So to now be sitting here at age 34 I do wonder where the time went?
I am afraid to blink and have another four years pass. But, in reality, I take my life one day at a time. I don’t fret about not being married or having met cultural benchmarks. Those things will come as I work on them. And, I am fine with that. But, I won’t lie, time could sure slow down a tad, because it’s flying but too dang fast.
But, here’s 34!
RACE #103: PARK CITY HALF
As I mentioned above I am running the Park City Half tomorrow morning. Initially, I had planned for this to be my 100th race, but after gaining some commonsense after realizing the Handcart Days Half was a better race to celebrate that milestone at (since it’s where I ran my first race), I changed that direction.
I am still equally excited to be running the Park City Half tomorrow whether it was Race #100 or #103. This will be my second time running this race. I ran it back in 2012 with Cousin Em. I believe the course has changed a little, so I am excited to see the changes. But, the race starts and finishes at the Newpark development near the Kimball Junction area.
Since I am running on my birthday I’ll be running to earn my birthday! Talk about motivation, eh?
YEAH BIRTHDAY CAKE!
THE UTAH RUNCAST: EPISODE #2
If you haven’t caught the latest episode of The Utah Runcast, it’s a good one. We talk about bananas, Jim’s pink pair, McGriddles and a few upcoming races! You can listen to the whole episode here …
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few things that caught my attention this past week …
- Since tomorrow is my 34th birthday I wrote a list of 34 things you may or may not know about me this past week. Check it out.
- Since August is Elsha and my birthday month we’re asking family and friends to donate their birthday gift to the Kyle Pease Foundation on our behalf. We’re trying to raise enough money to buy a racing wheelchair that will benefit local assisted athletes. You can donate here.
- I don’t know if I’ll be making a full conversion to the Altra shoes, but I bought a pair this past week to try them out. I ran in them on Wednesday night at Liberty Park and I liked what I felt, but tomorrow on race day I am sticking with my Hokas until I’ve properly gotten used to the Altras.
- Double This.
- Triple This.
- Quadruple This.
- Quintuple This.
- I think I am going to grow out my beard … see where it takes me.
- I want this for my birthday.
- No wait, this is what I want for my birthday.
- This disgusts and angers me, it’s sad to see such pristine wilderness ruined by someone else’s carelessness. Not to mention potential health problem caused by the accident.
- Oh, these raccoons think they are people.
- Can I just say how much I love this picture I took at the Bugout Run last week in Spanish Fork.
- I am not sure if you’ve seen those “Straight Outta” memes all over the internet, but these ones are pretty hilarious. I even chimed in with my own.
- This whole New York Jets thing that got Geno Smith’s jaw broken is probably the most Jets thing to happen. Ever.
- ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm … no.
- I got a Rubik’s Cube for a display at work and this will probably be the ONLY time I hold one totally solved. Something I didn’t do, it was just how it came out of the box.
- Miss Koko is starting soccer next week and I have to say … I think she’s a striker!
- How come I have never taken advantage of 7 Eleven’s free chili and cheese. IT’S FREE!
- Being a graphic designer this is a fun read. Some of which I didn’t know. Give it a look.
- Ran with my friend Miss Shaylee at Liberty Park on Wednesday night. I won’t lie, running is so much more fun with friends.
- I love tattoo fails. Seriously, my favorite pastime.
- Who writes a children’s book about the Titanic? Seriously.
- I have a problem with some of these being labeled as racist. Mainly, because we like to throw that word around a lot as a society as of late and two … that term is an extreme stretch for some of these acting performances.
- I have this real knack of making the awkward, more awkward. Like this.
- WHITE WHALE! I WANT ONE!
- I love this Instagram account. Mainly, because I love Utah (and they shared one of my photos … lol).
- These make me cringe, but I can’t stop reading.
- This is pretty hilarious, not to mention makes me want to wait a little bit longer to have kids.
- And, if I didn’t entertain you enough today … this will.
FRIDAY FUNNY FOTO