But, it’s not so much something that’s happened this year. Try more like the past 4-5 years. Ever since I graduated from college and started running have summers felt like a blur. Sure, that has a lot to do with being a responsible adult and having a 8 to 5 job. It just flies way faster than I’d like it to.
But, working in academia I am also excited for the students to come back. It can get rather lonely around campus without them. Then again, when they are back it also makes the commute longer and more crowded. So I guess, really, it’s sixes?
There is a lot to look forward to with the fall though. Football starts in a couple weeks. I love college football, especially working on a Pac-12 campus. But, I also love the pro game and the intrigue a new year brings to the game.
Plus, there are all the autumn races that I love. Nebo, Big Cottonwood, Layton, Thankful 13 and of course the Halloween races. As much as I love running the summer races like Timp, AF Canyon, DesNews, etc., nothing beats a cool autumn race. It’s the perfect temp for me. If I can get it around 55 degrees … it’s PERFECT!
I am getting really excited to run tomorrow’s Run Elevated Half Marathon down Little Cottonwood Canyon. It’s turning into one of my favorite courses. Mainly because it’s FAST, but also Little Cottonwood Canyon is just downright gorgeous.
And, despite it being summer the canyon can be rather cold, which I appreciate. Last year’s half marathon had snow up the canyon. IN AUGUST?!? As much as I love the cooler weather that was a bit too much for me. But, luckily the effects and signs of snow were gone before the mile one marker.
But, excited, excited, excited! I am running this one on my own again. I am not pacing or sweeping, so I am hoping to just let myself let go and run, much like this June’s Drop 13. I haven’t been training for speed this summer so we’ll see what I got in me. I am not going for a PR or YB (year’s best), that I am saving for Nebo, but I am planning on flying as best as I can.
So, we’ll see what happens. Just praying for no snow!
YEAH CANYON RUNS!
YEAH COOLER WEATHER!
THE UTAH RUNCAST
Just in case you missed the latest version of The Utah Runcast … it’s a good one! We discuss why Jim’s hair in pink. We all lament how much we hate cancer. Then Jim tells us how the “100 Banana Salute” all came down from concept to reality! Oh, and there’s plenty of talk about burritos and McGriddles as well …
ELSHA & MY BIRTHDAY FUNDRAISER
I have been overwhelmed with the response and support that Elsha and I have gotten for our birthday month fundraiser. We are less than $100 away from our goal of raising $1000 for the Kyle Pease Foundation. The money raised will be used to buy a local assisted athlete a much needed racing cart.
Reading the messages of love and support has been heartfelt and I think I can speak for Elsha when I say that personal gifts pail in comparison to the gift of running we can ALL give to someone else. That’s what this birthday drive has been all about!
If you would like to donate to the cause please click on the link below …
SO I AM ON KSL STUDIO 5 TODAY!
Once I can get a link to a video I will post it here. But, yesterday I filmed a segment with a few of my running friends at the KSL Triad Center for the KSL Studio 5 show that airs today at 11am. All three of us will be a part of the Layton Marathon Guinness World Record team attempting to run the 26.2 miles tethered together with 75+ of our closet friends.
The marathon is on October 10th and goes from Antelope Island to Layton here in Utah. There are a number of spots left on the team. The fee is just $20 and is refundable once you cross the finish line. So yeah … A FREE MARATHON!!! Plus, you get your name in the record books.
How can you pass that one up?
If you’re interested in registering for the World Record team click here.
UPDATE: Here you can see my ugly mug on TV … great Hokey Pokey skillz.
I’M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!
I’m getting kinda excited for the end of September. And, by kinda I mean … PEE MY PANTS EXCITED! Why? Well, if you couldn’t tell by the header and picture above … I’M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!
Our family is planning a trip to southern California between September 27-October 3. We’re planning on a couple days in Disneyland, possibly a couple days in San Diego, lots of time on the beach, a session or two at either the Newport Beach or San Diego Temples and lots of quality time with cousins and aunts who live down there.
I am looking for a way to incorporate my preparing for the trip into my blog. It’s been about three years since I’ve been to the park … which … seems WAY too long (well, because it is). It’s in the middle of training for my ultra and a week before the Layton Marathon so I’m looking to get some miles in while balancing it with some R&R. That should be a fun challenge. Maybe some running barefoot on the beach?
Anyways … DISNEYLAND!!!!
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few other things that caught my attention this past week …
- Have I mentioned lately that I am going to Disneyland? SO EXCITED!
- Got a surprise visit from my foster nieces this past week. They’re back with their Mom which is great news. But, how can you not love faces like this and this?
- Speaking of surprises … we also got a surprise visit from my cousin Justin and his family. He is now living in Virginia so it’s a rarity when we get together these days.
- This is just a good reminder to snack and eat healthily.
- I want to visit all of these sanctuaries, but I want to know why I haven’t heard of “Swimming with the Manatees” before? This needs to happen. Excuse me while I put it on my bucket list.
- This is an interesting read on the 19th Amendment. If you can tell me what that one is without Googling it, good for you.
- If you’re looking for something to get lost reading in, check this out. Great read.
- Redoing my running playlist for my fall races I just barely noticed I have three NKOTB songs included on the list. Not sure if this is good or bad? At least U2 outnumbers them. And, there’s no Nickelback anywhere to be found … soooooo … win?
- Because, Uranus.
- Not sure why I like this, but I do.
- I would like to think this running outfit would be ideal for deer hunters who want to combine their love of running with hunting. Talk about a shoot and run.
- I think I need this jacket?
- Hence why cats hate dogs and vice versa.
- I got potato skins on this quiz. I hate potato skins.
- Does anyone else’s gum ask them questions like this?
- Yeah, I can confirm that this is pretty accurate about running.
- The Disney geek within me LOVES this! I’d love a behind the scenes tour of the Disney World tunnels.
- I’ve got a lot of shoes … like a lot.
- As a runner this might be important. Just sayin’ …
- This is kind of a fun piece, especially if you are a lover of human rights and history.
- Can we talk about how lazy this gadget is? Seriously, do we really need to speed up the cooking process of Ramen Noodles? Don’t they take like five minutes? If you’re that hungry that you can’t wait, just eat them dry.
- I don’t drink soda, but I found this ditty about Dr. Pepper rather interesting. Worth the read.
- Paradise? This place is puuuurfect!
- You gotta love some of these off brand products. Seriously, who doesn’t want some Creme Betweens washed down with some Dr. Bob or Hee Haw?
- It feels so much more official when you put your Disneyland vacation plans on your work calendar, right?
FUNNY RUNNING PHOTOS