Okay, first off … there will always be a little of Michael Scott inside of me. TWSS! I kinda can’t help that, but ever since the Big Cottonwood Marathon began back in 2012 their motto of “GO BIG” was always a TWSS joke in my mind.
So, for my mother and those with sensible senses of humor … I apologize.
And, while I am apologizing, I should also apologize for this seizure inducing GIF of Space Mountain. It’s just a TAD excited about Disneyland at the end of this month. Well, actually in 15 days to be exact.
It’s been three years since my last Disneyland trip, which seems impossible. But, it’s the truth. I guess part of the reason why it’s been so long is that most of my resources and money have gone towards local races and transportation. It’s really one or the other.
But, it will be nice to get away for a week. From work, the blog and running. Well, okay, not running. You better believe I’ll still be running while in California. For many reasons … one, I have a 50K coming up in November, sea level running is awesome and I need a running on the beach moment at least once in my life.
With a 12 string chorus of course.
But, before I get to that point I’ve got to get through the next couple of weeks and that includes tomorrow marathon down Big Cottonwood Canyon. This is one of my favorite marathons here in Utah. Of all the marathons in Utah, I’d actually probably rank this second behind only St. George. Ogden would be a close third.
The race does a really great job at putting the runner first. The organization has been top notch since their first race back in 2012. They’ve changed the course a few times over the past four years, but that’s really because they’ve listened to the runners. And, believe me, the course has drastically changed over the years. The course is mainly downhill, but in 2012 it was mostly in the valley and around neighborhoods in the Holliday area.
This will be the third time that I’ve ran the marathon. I also ran the half marathon in 2013. But, the marathon has my heart. Of all the Big Cottonwood races this is the only one that does the 26.2 mile distance down the canyon.
Anyways, before I start resorted to writing love letters and poetry to the Big Cottonwood Marathon you should just know that I love it and am looking forward to running it tomorrow morning.
Well, actually, I am sweeping it for the Run Your Race Pacers. Which is still going to be a challenge and fun. I am sweeping it with my friend Ramie and it should be an adventure. I love the back of the pack. They’re my people and I always come away inspired.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo … excited!
YEAH BIG COTTONWOOD!
THE FIGHT4PHAT & BALANCE
As many of you know the past year and half or so has been pretty frustrating for me. My thyroid and testosterone have been in and out of whack and it’s really done a number of my health and weight. Having once weighed 400+ pounds I think I’ll always have a fear of going BACK to that fat self.
So finding a solution has been my focused the past year and despite the setbacks, I am not going to give up. I’ve still been working out, still running, still watching my diet, etc. I’ve tried different diets and routines in hopes that something would be the answer.
With all of this I’ve been in and out of doctor’s offices trying to find a balance with my meds. It’s been frustrating and I won’t rehash all of that crap, but I feel like I’ve found a good balance with my thyroid meds. The testosterone has been a bit more all over the place, but that’s another story.
Welp, I had a doctor’s appointment on Wednesday to check up on the thyroid and testosterone. And, after feeling good about the direction of my health the appointment made me feel even more frustrated.
I’ll let my post on my @fight4phat Instagram account say the rest …
Welp, no answers. But, I guess I’m closer to a solution? My thyroid is about smack in the middle of functionality. No big worries there. My testosterone is not as stable it went down about 200 points since April. The doctor thinks this could be partly aging, but also something else. Possibly sleep apnea? Not sure if that’s the case? But, I am anemic, which he thinks he could be why my energy levels are down? So, I’m adding iron supplements to my diet. Anemia isn’t a big surprise since I’ve dealt with it since a kid. With the weight he basically told me to watch the calories and intake. Which, is kinda a cookie cutter answer no matter how true it is. But, I get it. It’s just I know there’s something going on because I do watch my diet and exercise regularly. Part of his answer to that was “family genes and age.” That answer kinda p—ed me off. And, gave me some motivation to prove him wrong. I’m glad I know where I stand with the testosterone, thyroid and my red blood cell levels. But, I’m learning sometimes the solution is your motivation and hardwork to prove others (doctors included) wrong. #hypothyroidism #hypothyroid #health #wellness #fitness #doctorsoffice #doctor #testosterone #anemia #running #weightloss #weightlossjourney #weightlossmotivation @fight4phat @running180 @mejosher
So, yeah, I’m definitely in the market for a new doctor who not only asks questions first but doesn’t preach to me about something I am fairly well versed in. To me that’s just a waste of time and money.
I get that it could be genes and/or age, but that feels like a cop out to me. There’s something else at play whether it’s the anemia or testosterone. And, I want to find a solution for that.
But, I’m more than determined now to do that more on my own then to go to a doctor and seek answers, especially if they’re going to be like the one I saw on Wednesday.
But, for now I just keep on fightin’ …
THE UTAH RUNCAST – EPISODE THREE
In case you haven’t listened to the latest episode of The Utah Runcast it’s a good one. Jim and I are joined by Tim Gill and Joe Coles talking about fall faces including the Layton Marathon. Listen to it here …
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
Here are a few other things that caught my attention this past week …
- I was asked about my opinion on this Fat Shaming video that’s been “all the rage” this past week. My opinion? I could careless about it. It obviously wasn’t funny and those that are offended by it should really just ignore it. What’s it going to change or do? Haters gonna hate.
- I will say this though, she was PAINFULLY trying to be funny. Not only wasn’t she NOT funny, but if she wants to be a good comedian you’ve got to be authentic … which she wasn’t.
- I’m pretty stoked, I get off work early today because of the UofU football game tonight. No, I’m not going to the game, since I work on campus I’m getting the eff off campus before the whole state of Utah descends upon it. It gets crazy.
- I don’t go to a “box gym” anymore, but I still found these interesting. Not to mention, they don’t surprise me either.
- If this doesn’t give you the feels then you are a pathetic person. Just sayin’ …
- If you want to know what the cast of Fresh Prince is up to, then this is for you. SPOILER: Uncle Phil is dead.
- This is actually pretty funny for being a 100 year old film.
- One of my pictures from Nebo last weekend got printed in the Utah Valley Newspaper. I’m practically famous right now. I’ll be doing autographs later this afternoon.
- This is a much tougher quiz than you’d think it would be. In a way though, I feel like I failed Walt.
- The Disney/PIXAR nerd in me LOVES this video of hidden Easter Eggs.
- It’s kind of sad that my flip flop tan lines will be fading away now that Labor Day has past. Until next year my dear little thongs.
- Of course there’s an app for that …
- I’ve always wanted to know why Winnie the Pooh is called “the Pooh” … interesting explanation.
- This. This is my 50 year relationship goal right there.
- Well, let’s just say goodbye to the diet, huh?
- I’m all about following your passions in life, but for this? Really? This has to be a joke, right?
- I think this might be a new career direction for me?
- The secret to a balanced diet is prunes.
- Despite their pain all this does is make me hungry for some pizza.
- And despite these pizzas’ pain, I still want pizza. Actually when do I NOT want pizza?
- This is a great laugh, especially if you can’t stand Kanye West.
- My hair is getting pretty dang long these days. It’s been about two months or so since I cut it last. I still have six months until I am cutting it. Oy! I’m going to look like a caveman … if I don’t already.
- mmmmm … waffles … pancakes with abs.
- So this exists. Like for reals.
- Maybe I should go back to school if I can get a scholarship like any of these?
- Okay, if you want a good laugh today read these … HAHAHA!
FRIDAY FUNNY FOTO