If you couldn’t tell, that was me hyperventilating — well that or giving birth. It’s all in the name of excitement and nerves for my 50K happening tomorrow morning. TOMORROW MORNING!!!
RAPID SHORT BREATH.
BIG GASP OF AIR.
BACK TO NORMAL BREATHING.
Okay, I should be fine now.
But, seriously, I haven’t felt this kind of excitement and nerves — nervcitement — since my first marathon some three years ago. Sure, it’s a 50K — about five miles more than a marathon. But, that’s not it — it’s the running on trails, the rough terrain, the elements and of course — the buffaloes.
If running and enduring to the end was hard enough — I had to choose a race that had buffaloes roaming around all fancy like. It’s basically like a race in the middle of the zoo — no fences, no moats, no barriers (there’s an idea — Hogle Zoo 5K: Safari Lion Run) At least there are no deer on the island, right?
But, then again, buffalo can do more damage than a deer. So maybe my four legged grazing animal fears are totally disproportionate?
I am glad I am not going about this alone (pretty sure if I did — I would die). I am going to have two really good friends with me along the whole route — Tim Gill and Jason Henry — also virgin ultra marathoners. I couldn’t have asked for a better “Run Squad” — we’ll be laughing, encouraging and motivating each other on.
And, Tim better bring some of those Fruit Source bars from SunRype — just sayin’
But, seriously, I feel extremely lucky to have the friends I do. Not only are many of them awesome runners, but they get it. They get what running is about. It’s not just pace time and PRs — it’s much deeper than that on an individual level. And, to me — those are the kind of people I value and want to be around.
So, it’s going to be epic.
I have no time goal — other than the 10 hour cutoff time. There are a few hard cutoffs along the way, but I feel fairly confident we’ll hit them. But, the main goal is to just finish. Just like any and all of my marathons — I just want to finish. I want to earn my mug and buffalo stew at the end of the race.
So yeah — race goals:
- Don’t get lost.
- Don’t get gored by a buffalo.
- Finish within 10 hours.
- Get my mug.
- Eat some buffalo stew.
- Have fun.
That sounds like a recipe for a great time, no?
RAPID SHORT BREATH.
BIG GASP OF AIR.
BACK TO NORMAL BREATHING.
MY 2016 RACE SCHEDULE
I shared my race schedule this past week for 2016. By the end of this year I will have ran over 30 races — I’ve got to cut that down in 2016. Not only to save my knees, but so I can focus on getting faster, losing weight and in the second half of the year — marathon training.
It’s going to be hard to stay away from so many races that I love, but I really need to do it for my long term goals. But, that doesn’t mean I won’t be around running — I fully expect to be around it most weekends, whether it’s my training runs or I am volunteering at races. I want to volunteer more and I really can’t do that if I am out running the race, right?
Anyways — I’ve still got some awesome sauce races planned and I am hoping to set a PR in the half, run a strong marathon at St. George and crush another ultra marathon next November.
All worthy goals, right?
ANNIVERSARY OF THE BEGINNING
OF MY JOURNEY
I’ve blogged and written about it a lot the past few days, so I won’t say too much here. This past week has marked the sixth anniversary of my weight loss journey. Lots of ups and downs — some of those good, some of those bad. But, it’s been a journey I needed to start and a journey that will never end.
It’s shaped who I am to the very core.
Anyways, here’s what I wrote on Wednesday — the day of the anniversary.
Kids & Kittens — is there any better combo? #prettymuchno A photo posted by Joshua O. Snow Hansén (@kindaqwerty) on
It’s a tad bit chilly out there this morning. Luckily I have like 12 pairs of these at home. #sweepingbenefits @runtasticevents @thehauntedhalf A photo posted by Joshua O. Snow Hansén (@kindaqwerty) on
“Life is too awesome to be on the sidelines –LIVE IT!” An excerpt from my blog post today about the beginning of my weight loss journey. #quotes #weightlossjourney #weightloss #hypothyroidism #hypothyroid #lowtestosterone #health #wellness #fitness #running #workout @fight4phat @running180 @kindaqwerty
THE FRIDAY FARTLEK
There have been a number of things that have caught my attention this past week. Here are a few others —
- A public service announcement — I think it’s a good opportunity to remind you that Thanksgiving is in two weeks. Time to prepare.
- But, if you are going to prepare now — it’s best that you do it right and not fail epically like these people did.
- Um, okay, I am trying not to freak out about this — but I am kinda, really excited! Excited for what? Star Wars? Nope. Another Avengers movie? Heck no. Finding Dory? HECK YES! The new trailer for Finding Dory was released this past week — circling June 17th, 2016 on my calendar.
- Now you’re probably asking me why I am so excited about Finding Dory? Well, of all the Pixar movies — Finding Nemo was — well — is my favorite of the bunch. Maybe I’m slightly biased, but I’m more excited than most Star Wars geeks the night before a premier.
- Viva Las Vegas!
- Remember how sometimes I say I want to be the new Jared — now — most definitely not. What a worthless piece of sh —— aving cream.
- Sea World announced this past week that they are phasing out the Shamu killer whale show at their parks. Not sure how I feel about it? But, honestly — I’m okay with it. As a kid I wanted to be a whale trainer, I loved everything Shamu — but — I’ve grown out of that of course, except for the love of the animal. The shows are unnecessary — fun — but unnecessary.
- So much no going on in this gallery of wedding pictures.
- Is this real life? Seriously. Are Seniors Playgrounds — a thing? If so I think I should take my parents for an outing.
- Okay — this is pretty fetching cool. This is a hyperlapse of Disneyland and a number of it’s attractions. Pretty cool, huh? I may or may not have watched it more than 10 times.
- I’m fairly open about my love for Arby’s — in my bigger days I could literally eat a 5 for $5 combo (along with a 44oz. Mountain Dew) — within half an hour. Arby’s is still my favorite fast food restaurant — though I don’t frequent it much. Still — I love me an Arby’s roast beef sandwich. I need to stop talking about it now — for the sake of my diet.
- I love that so many people have made a big deal about Jessa Duggar naming her newborn Spurgeon — why do people care so much? But, seriously — Spurgeon??!
- I think I need this in my life right now — well actually my belly.
- This is a pretty epic prank on one of the Japanese architects of the war against the U.S. during WWII.
- It might be a pipe dream, but there is still a chance the U can get into the College Football Playoff — doubt it will happen, but I’m rooting for them to at least get into the Rose Bowl.
- But, let’s be honest here — as much as I love the Utes — I am a hardcore, true to SUU — T-Bird. And, my T-Birds are doing pretty dang good! We’re #1 in the Big Sky Conference and ranked 15th in the nation for Division II schools. GO T-BIRDS!
- One thing that I also love about SUU is that we steal most of BYU’s backup quarterbacks. Case in point — Brad Sorensen.
- This is cooler than cool about Jim Henson and The Muppets. Check it out.
- BAHAHAHAHAHA — what an idiot. Bless him and curse the whole dang dating game as a whole.
- These cats are ridiculous.
- If you want to know how fast you are compared to celebrities who’ve ran marathons — check here. I don’t put time goals to my marathons — but if I did — I’d definitely want to beat Oprah’s time of 4:29:20. What would call that accomplishment? Beat Oprah? BO? Okay probably not.
- Well this is how I am going to fight with my future wife — GENIUS!
- Oh geez, Mother Russia ain’t going to be happy about this snafu.
- You can’t tell me that you don’t have the “I Love Lucy” theme song running through your head while reading this article. I loved watching “I Love Lucy” as a kid — especially when I was home sick from school.
- This never gets old. NEVER.
- Need a good laugh? Read these tweets — good hilarity for a Friday afternoon.